Place:


Kings Cliffe  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kings Cliffe like this:

CLIFFE (Kings), or Cliffe-Regis, a village and a parish in Oundle district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 5½ miles W of Elton r. station, and 7 NNW of Oundle; has a post office‡ under Wansford; was once a market-town; and has still a fair on 29 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 4, 460 acres. Real property, £4, 666. Pop., 1, 360. Houses, 298. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Exeter. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £700.* Patron, the Earl of Westmoreland. The church is cruciform, with central tower; and was restored in 1863. There are four dissenting chapels, two free schools, a national school, and alms-houses.

Kings Cliffe through time

Kings Cliffe is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kings Cliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kings Cliffe in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7660

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kings Cliffe ".