Place:


Sapiston  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sapiston like this:

SAPISTON, a parish, with a village, in the district of Thetford and county of Suffolk; on an affluent of the Little Ouse river, 3 miles N N W of Ixworth, and 6 N of Thurston r. station. Post-town, Ixworth, under Bury St. Edmunds. Acres, 1, 230. Real property, £1, 594. Pop., 255. Houses, 53. The property belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £100.* Patron, the Duke of Grafton. The church is tolerable; and there is a parochial school.

Sapiston through time

Sapiston is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sapiston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sapiston, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7654

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sapiston ".