Place:


Brixworth  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brixworth like this:

BRIXWORTH, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district, in Northamptonshire. The village stands adjacent to the Northampton and Market-Harborough railway, 7 miles N of Northampton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Northampton. It was formerly a market-town, under the Fitz-Simons; and it still has a fair on Whit-Monday. ...


Here are a workhouse, built at a cost of £5,800, and the kennels of the Pitchley hounds. The parish comprises 3,410 acres. Real property, £7,636. Pop., 1,253. Houses, 269. The property is subdivided. Brixworth Hall belonged formerly to the Nicholses; and passed to the Woods. Some of the inhabitants are lace-makers, and some quarriers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church shows fine features of very early Norman, with additions of later character; has a curious staircase leading to the tower; is supposed to have been built on the foundations of a Roman basilica; and was restored in 1865. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £58.

The subdistrict contains the parishes of Brixworth, Holcot, Scaldwell, Lamport, Haselbeech, Maidwell, Draughton, Faxton, Old or Wold, Walgrave, and Hannington. Acres, 19,435. Pop., 4,555. Houses, 993.—The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Spratton, containing the parishes of Spratton, Ravensthorpe, Holdenby, East Haddon, Cold Ashby, Naseby, Thornby, Guilsborough, Cottesbrook, and Great Creaton; and the subdistrict of Moulton, containing the parishes of Moulton, Overstone, Boughton, Pitsford, Brington, Harlestone Church-Brampton, and Chapel-Brampton, and the extra-parochial tract of Althorp. Acres, 59,926. Poorrates in 1866, £14,667. Pop. in 1861, 15,359. Houses, 3,360. Marriages in 1866, 73; births, 474,-of which 34 were illegitimate; deaths, 252,-of which 97 were at ages under 5 years, and 7 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,055; births, 4,710; deaths, 3,078. The places of worship in 1851 were 30 of the Church of England, with 6,907 sittings; 6 of Independents, with 1,250 s.; 10 of Baptists, with 2,180 s.; 7 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,399 s.; and 2 undefined, with 260 s. The schools were 28 public day schools, with 1,573 scholars; 34 private day schools, with 477 s.; and 42 Sunday schools, with 2,345 s.

Brixworth through time

Brixworth is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brixworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brixworth, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7634

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brixworth ".