Place:


Castle Ashby  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castle Ashby like this:

ASHBY (Castle), a parish in Hardingstone district, Northampton; near the Nen river and the Peterborough railway, 7 miles E of Northampton. It has a station on the railway at White Mill, and includes the hamlet of Chadstone; and its Post Town is Grendon under Northampton. Acres, 1,926. Real property, £3,088. ...


Pop., 183. Houses, 38. Castle-Ashby House, the seat of the Marquis of Northampton, stands within the parish, at the north end of a wide avenue of upwards of 3 miles through Yardley Chace; and is a large quadrangular edifice, with two lofty octangular towers, built in 1625-35; and contains a good picture gallery, with valuable portraits and very old oil paintings. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £238.* Patron, the Marquis of Northampton. The church stands in the park; has a Norman porch; and contains an altar-tomb, with effigies of a crusader.

Castle Ashby through time

Castle Ashby is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castle Ashby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castle Ashby in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7526

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castle Ashby ".