Place:


Kingston on Soar  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingston on Soar like this:

KINGSTON-UPON-SOAR, a village and a parish in the district of Shardlow and county of Nottingham. The village stands on the verge of the county, near the river Soar and the Midland railway, 1 mile NNE of Kegworth r. station, and 10 SW by W of Nottingham; and has a post office, of the name of Kingston, under Derby. ...


A crescent of cottages, in the Gothic style, was built by Lord Belper. The parish comprises 1, 200 acres. Real property, £2, 451. Pop., 197. Houses, 39. The property, with Kingston Hall, belongs to Lord Belper. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £80. Patron, Lord Belper. The church is very ancient; has been partly rebuilt; and consists of nave, with tower and spire. There is a national school.

Kingston on Soar through time

Kingston on Soar is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingston on Soar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingston on Soar, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7487

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingston on Soar ".