Place:


Layham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Layham like this:

LAYHAM, a parish in Cosford district, Suffolk; on the river Brett, near the Hadleigh railway, 2 miles S by E of Hadleigh. Post town, Ipswich. Acres, 2, 488. Real property, £5, 041. Pop., 53 4. Houses, 113. The property is divided among a few. The manors of Overbury Hall and Netherbury Hall belong to J. F. Robinson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £800. * Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church was restored in 1861, at a cost of £1, 200. There are a national school and charities £4 16s.

Layham through time

Layham is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Layham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Layham, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7457

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Layham ".