Place:


Water Newton  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Water Newton like this:

NEWTON-WATER, a village and a parish in the district of Peterborough and county of Huntingdon. The village stands on the river Nen at the boundary with Northamptonshire, ¾ of a mile E of Ermine-street, 1¼ E S E of Wansford r. station, and 6 W of Peterborough; and has a post-office under Wansford. ...


The parish comprises 863 acres. Real property, £1, 831. Pop., 149. Houses, 31. A Roman station is supposed to have beenhere; and numerous Roman coins and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £270.* Patron, E. S. Knipe, Esq. The church is early English, in good condition; has a tower and spire; and contains a curious monument.

Water Newton through time

Water Newton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Water Newton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Water Newton in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7446

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Water Newton ".