Place:


Girton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Girton like this:

GIRTON, a parish in Newark district, Notts; on the river Trent, contiguous to Lincolnshire; 3½ miles NNE of Collingham r. station, and 6¼ ESE of Tuxford. Post town, Collingham, under Newark. Acres, 1, 075. Real property, £2, 056. Pop., 188. Houses, 46. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage of South Scarlet, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is a very humble building, with a small tower.

Girton through time

Girton is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Girton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Girton, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7414

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Girton ".