Place:


Epperstone  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Epperstone like this:

EPPERSTONE, a parish in Southwell district, Notts; on an affluent of the river Trent, 3½ miles WNW of Thur-garton r. station, and 5 SW of Southwell. It has a post office under Southwell. Acres, 2, 300. Real property, £3, 895. Pop., 518. Houses, 110. The property is subdivided. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. ...


Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £309.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church was restored in 1854. There are two Methodist chapels, a public library, a national school, and charities £12.

Epperstone through time

Epperstone is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Epperstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Epperstone, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7381

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Epperstone ".