Place:


Ixworth  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ixworth like this:

IXWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Thingoe district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Thet, near Icknield street, 4 miles N of Thurston r. station, and 6½ NE of Bury-ST. Edmunds; consists of two neat and well built streets; was once a market town; has a post office‡ under Bury-ST. ...


Edmunds, and a police station; and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 2, 248 acres. Real property, £4, 939. Pop., 1, 074. Houses, 229. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Ixworth Abbey, belonged formerly to the Nortons, and belongs now to the Cartwrights. An Augustinian priory was founded here, about 1100, by Gilbert le Blund; and given, at the dissolution, to the Codingtons. Ixworth-Abbey is a handsome brick mansion, and includes some portions of the priory buildings. Several stone coffins, and other antiquities, have been exhumed from the grounds. Roman coins and other Roman relics also have been found. There are chalk pits. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £101.* Patron, R. N. Cartwright, Esq.The church is good, has a tower, and contains a brass of 1567. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £65.—The sub-district contains also ten other parishes. Acres, 23, 982. Pop., 6, 250. Houses, 1, 369.

Ixworth through time

Ixworth is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ixworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ixworth, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7380

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ixworth ".