Place:


South Collingham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Collingham like this:

COLLINGHAM (South), a village and a parish in Newark district, Notts. The village stands on the Fosse way, near Collingham r. station, 4¾ miles NNE of Newark; and occupies the site of the ancient Crocolana. The parish includes also Brough and Deanthorpe; and its post town is Collingham under Newark. ...


Acres, 2, 763. Real property, £5, 201. Pop., 863. Houses, 191. The property is much subdivided. Ancient relics have been found at Potter's Hill barrow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £418.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. Charities, £18.

South Collingham through time

South Collingham is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Collingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Collingham, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7341

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Collingham ".