Place:


North Collingham  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Collingham like this:

COLLINGHAM (North), a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Newark district, Notts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Trent, near the Midland railway, 5½ miles NNE of Newark; and has a station on the railway and a post office‡ under Newark, both of the name of Collingham. ...


The parish comprises 1,820 acres. Real property, £6, 230. Pop., 1, 010. Houses, 228. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to Peterborough abbey. A number of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church was restored in 1860. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school, and charities £21. Dr. Blow, the musician, was a native.—The sub-district contains nine parishes. Acres, 23, 355. Pop., 5, 683. Houses, 1, 241.

North Collingham through time

North Collingham is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Collingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Collingham, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7339

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Collingham ".