Place:


Camborne  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Camborne like this:

CAMBORNE, a town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Redruth district, Cornwall. The town stands adjacent to the West Cornwall railway, in the centre of a rich mining tract, 14¼ miles WSW of Truro. It is a thriving place, a scene of considerable traffic, and a seat of petty sessions; and has a head post office,‡ a r. ...


station with telegraph, a banking office, a hotel, a market house of 1866, a church, four dissenting chapels, and charities £70. The church is perpendicular English, in granite, large, but very low; was restored in 1862; contains a carved wooden pulpit, a new granite font, and monuments of the family of Pendarves; and has, on the outside, an ancient inscribed stone, placed in its present position by the late Lord de Dunstanville, and believed to have been originally an altar cover. A weekly market is held on Saturday; and fairs on 7 March, Whit-Tuesday, 29 June, and 11 Nov. Pop., 7,208. Houses, 1,415.—The parish includes also the villages of Tucking-mill, Penponds, Berippa, Trewithan, and others. Acres, 6,744. Real property, £39,102; of which £26,315 are in mines. Pop., 14,056. Houses, 2,737. Pendarves, about a mile S of the town, the seat of the late E. W. W. Pendarves, Esq., is a modern granite edifice; contains some good pictures and a rich mineral cabinet; and stands in a fine park, formed entirely out of a moor. Tehidy, the seat of J. F. Basset, Esq., has a good collection of pictures, and stands in a park of upwards of 700 acres. Carnbrea, a rocky eminence 740 feet high, is regarded by Borlase as having been the chief seat of the Druids in the west of England; and Carwinnen, a wild moorish hill confronting Pendarves, has at its foot a cromlech, called the Pendarves Quoit. Extensive mines are worked, and employ most of the inhabitants. Dolcoath mine, about 3 miles W of Carnbrea, has been sunk to the depth of 1,080 feet, and extends under ground fully a mile. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £600.* Patron, J. F. Basset, Esq. The vicarages of Tucking-mill, Penponds, and Treslothan are separate charges. A modern chapel, in the Norman style, is at Tucking-mill; and a handsome one, built in 1842, is on an eminence in Pendarves park. An ancient chapel stood on the latter's site; another stood at Trewin, adjacent to a medicinal well; and four or five more stood in other places. The subdistrict is conterminate with the parish.

Camborne through time

Camborne is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Camborne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Camborne, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/733

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Camborne ".