Place:


Clarborough  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clarborough like this:

CLARBOROUGH, Clareborough, or Clayborough, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands near the Roman road to Lincoln, the Chesterfield canal, and the Retford and Gainsborough and the Great Northern railways, 2 miles NE of East Retford; and has a post office under Retford. ...


The parish contains also the hamlets of Bollom, Gring ley, Little Gringley, Moorgate, and Walham, and the East Retford workhouse. Acres, 3, 870 Real property, £9, 959. Pop., 2, 412. Houses, 529. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of St. Saviour, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £331.* Patrons, Simeon's Trustees. The parish church was built in 1258 by Archbishop Sewell; and is good. The church of St. Saviour, in Moorgate, was built in 1828. There are a P. Methodist chapel, and charities £10. -The sub-district contains seven parishes and parts of three others. Acres, 19, 560. Pop, 6, 076.

Clarborough through time

Clarborough is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clarborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clarborough, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7324

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clarborough ".