Place:


Homersfield  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Homersfield like this:

HOMERSFIELD, a village and a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Waveney, at the boundary with Norfolk, near the Waveney Valley railway, 4¾ miles SW of Bungay; and has a station on the railway.—The parish comprises 981 acres. Post town, South Elmham-St. ...


Margaret, under Harlestone. Real property, £1, 579. Pop., 208. Houses, 53. The property belongs to Sir R. S. Adair, Bart. A residence of the Bishop of Norwich was here in the time of Henry III. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of South Elmham-ST. Cross, in the diocese of Norwich. Patron, Sir R. S. Adair, Bart. The church is early English; has an ivy clad tower; and was recently repaired.

Homersfield through time

Homersfield is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Homersfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Homersfield, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7296

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Homersfield ".