Place:


Higham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Higham like this:

HIGHAM, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; at the confluence of the rivers Bret and Stour, about 4½ miles respectively S, WNW, and NNW of Hadleigh, Manningtree, and Ardleigh r. stations. Post town, Stratford-St. Mary, under Colchester. Acres, 880. Real property, £2, 053. Pop., 229. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £238.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is good.

Higham through time

Higham is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Higham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Higham, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7287

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Higham ".