Place:


Heveningham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heveningham like this:

HAVENINGHAM, or HEVENINGHAM, a village and parish in Blything district, Suffolk. The village stands on the river Blything, 5½ miles NW by W of Darsham r. station, and 7½ NNW of Saxmundham; and has a postoffice under Saxmundham. The parish comprises 1, 659 acres. Real property, £2, 811. ...


Pop., 354. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Haveningham Hall, belongs to Lord Huntingfield. Haveningham Hall was built, in 1777, for Sir Gerard Vanneck, after designs by Sir R. Taylor; has a front 200 feet long, adorned with Corinthian columns; contains a fine collection of pictures; and stands in an extensive and wellwooded park, with a very fine avenue. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £550.* Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient but good; has a nave with later English timber roof, a chancel of early decorated date, and a W later English tower; and contains an oak tomb of Sir J. Haveningham of 1452, and an octagonal font with a panelled bowl. Charities, £108. Anthony Bec, Bishop of Norwich, was poisoned here, in 1343, by his servant.

Heveningham through time

Heveningham is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heveningham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heveningham in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7286

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heveningham ".