Place:


Herringswell  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Herringswell like this:

HERRINGSWELL, a parish in Mildenhall district, Suffolk; on a branch of the river Lark, near the boundary with Cambridge, 2¼ miles NNE of Kennet r. station, and 3½ S of Mildenhall. Post town, Mildenhall, under Soham. Acres, 2, 540. Real property, £1, 487. Pop., 203. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. Herringswell House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200.* patron, the Rev. J. T. Hales Tooke. The church was destroyed by fire in 1 869.

Herringswell through time

Herringswell is now part of Forest Heath district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest Heath has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Herringswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Herringswell, in Forest Heath and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7284

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Herringswell ".