Place:


Babworth  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Babworth like this:

BABWORTH, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands near the Chester field canal and the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile W of East Retford; and has a post office under Retford. The parish includes also the hamlets of Great and Little Morton and Morton-Grange, and part of the hamlet of Ran by. ...


Acres, 6,165. Real property, £7,205. Pop., 701. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. Babworth Hall is the seat of the Simpson family, and stands in very fine grounds, which were laid out by Rep ton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £826.* Patron, the Hon. B. J. Simpson. The church is a neat Gothic structure, with a small steeple; and was repaired in 1859. A charity school has £8.

Babworth through time

Babworth is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Babworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Babworth, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7235

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Babworth ".