Place:


Gisleham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gisleham like this:

GISLEHAM, a parish in Mutford district, Suffolk; near the coast, 3 miles S of Mutford r. station, and 4½ SW by S of Lowestoft. Post town, Mutford-Bridge, under Lowestoft. Acres, 1, 344. Real property, £2, 677. Pop., 267. Houses, 55. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £331.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, but very good; has a round tower, surmounted by a hexagonal steeple; and contains an octagonal later English font, and remains of a screen.

Gisleham through time

Gisleham is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gisleham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gisleham, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7229

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gisleham ".