Place:


Burnham on Crouch  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burnham on Crouch like this:

BURNHAM, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village stands on the river Crouch, opposite Wallasea island, 8½ miles NNE of Southend r. station, and 10 SE of Maldon. It has a post office‡ under Maldon; dates from old times; includes a good street; is a seaport and a coastguard station; and has two chief inns, a custom house, a convenient quay, and a ferry. ...


Fairs are held at it on 25 April and 24 Sept.; and oyster-fishing, boat-building, and sail-making are carried on. The parish includes also the hamlet of Ostend. Acres, 5,523. Real property, £11,821; of which £2,072 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,870. Houses, 388. The property is divided among a few. The land is marshy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £558.* Patron, not reported. The church is good; and is so situated as to serve as a landmark. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Burnham on Crouch through time

Burnham on Crouch is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burnham on Crouch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burnham on Crouch, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/719

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burnham on Crouch ".