Place:


Fakenham Magna  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fakenham Magna like this:

FAKENHAM (Great), a parish in the district of Thetford and county of Suffolk; on the river Brandon, 5¾ miles SSE of Thetford r. station. It has a post office, of the name of Fakenham, under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 2, 155. Real property, £1, 712. Pop., 196. Houses, 39. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £280.* Patron, the Duke of Grafton. Bloomfield resided here, and describes the scenery in his " Farmer's Boy. "

Fakenham Magna through time

Fakenham Magna is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fakenham Magna itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fakenham Magna, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7170

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fakenham Magna ".