Place:


Exning  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Exning like this:

EXNING, or Ixning, a village and a parish in the district of Newmarket and county of Suffolk. The village stands in an isolated tract of the county, near Icknield-street and near the Newmarket railway, 2 miles NW of Newmarket; and has a post office under Newmarket. The parish contains also the Newmarket workhouse. ...


Acres, 5, 710. Real property, £10, 824. Pop., 1, 348. Houses, 234. The property is divided among a few. The family of Shepherd had formerly a seat here; and St. Etheldred, the founder of Ely abbey, was a native. Exning Lodge is the seat of the Martins. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Landwade, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £465.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church has a tower; contains remains of brasses and old armorial bearings; and is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Shepherd's charity for the poor has £84; church lands yield £66; and other charities have £10.

Exning through time

Exning is now part of Forest Heath district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest Heath has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Exning itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Exning, in Forest Heath and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7161

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Exning ".