Place:


South Elmham St James  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Elmham St James like this:

ELMHAM (South)-St. James, a parish in Wangford district, Suffolk; 4½ miles SE of Homersfield r. station, and 5 NW of Halesworth. Post town, Metfield, under Harlestone. Acres, 1, 530. Real property, £2, 054. Pop., 294. Houses, 62. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £300. Patron, W. Adair, Esq. The church has a Norman north door; contains some early decorated screen-work, a square Norman font, remains of sedilia, and some small brasses; and is in fair condition.

South Elmham St James through time

South Elmham St James is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Elmham St James itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Elmham St James, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7146

Date accessed: 22nd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Elmham St James ".