Place:


Brent Eleigh  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brent Eleigh like this:

BRENT-ELEIGH, or Brent-Ely, a parish in Cosford district, Suffolk; near the river Bret, 7 miles NE by N of Sudbury r. station. Post Town, Lavenham, under Sudbury. Acres, 1,617. Real property, £2,519. Pop., 228. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. Brent Hall belonged once to the Sheltons, and passed to the Agars. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £369.* Patron, Mrs. Brown. The church shows Norman features, has a later English tower, and is good; and there are charities £90. A market was formerly held in the parish.

Brent Eleigh through time

Brent Eleigh is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brent Eleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brent Eleigh, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7136

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brent Eleigh ".