Place:


Culford  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Culford like this:

CULFORD, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; on the river Lark, 4½ miles NNW of Bury-St. Edmunds town and r. station. It has a post office under Bury-St. Edmunds. Acres, 2, 217. Real property, £1, 674. Sp., 346. Houses, 71. The manor belonged to Bury abbey. Culford Hall was built in 1591 by the Bacons; passed to Marquis Cornwallis and the De Beauvoirs; and is now the seat of the Rev. ...


E. R. Benyon. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Ingham, in the diocese of Ely. The church was rebuilt, and its tower heightened, in 1857. A church for Culford-Heath, an outlying portion of the parish, was built in 1865.

Culford through time

Culford is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Culford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Culford, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7113

Date accessed: 26th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Culford ".