Place:


Sheerness  Kent

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Sheerness like this:

Sheerness, seaport, dockyard, and garrison town, Minster in Sheppey par., Kent, in NW. of Isle of Sheppey, on river Medway, at its confluence with the Thames, 47 miles E. of London by rail, pop. 14,286; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. Sheerness was captured by De Ruyter in 1667, and was shortly afterwards fortified; its present fortifications are of modern erection and immense strength. ...


The harbour is safe and commodious, with deep water close alongside the quays at low tide. The dockyard was commenced in 1814; it covers 60 ac., employs between 1500 and 2000 men, and is principally used for repairs. The barracks, naval and military, accommodate about 2000 seamen and as many soldiers. Sheerness is coming into favour as a summer resort; it has spacious esplanades, a fine beach, and excellent facilities for bathing and boating.

Sheerness through time

Sheerness is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sheerness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sheerness, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/711

Date accessed: 17th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sheerness ".