Place:


East Bergholt  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Bergholt like this:

BERGHOLT (East), a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Stour, and on the Eastern Union railway, midway between the Manningtree and the Bentley stations, 9 miles SW of Ipswich. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 3,063. Real property, £8,450. Pop., 1,397. Houses, 339. ...


The property is much subdivided. Ackworth House is the seat of Sir Thomas Seaton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, not reported. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is excellent; and there are three dissenting chapels, a Benedictine nunnery and chapel, a police station, an endowed school with £70 a year, and other charities with £112. J. Constable, the painter, born in 1776, was a native.

East Bergholt through time

East Bergholt is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Bergholt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Bergholt, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7033

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Bergholt ".