Place:


Bentley  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bentley like this:

BENTLEY, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; at the junction of the Eastern Counties railway with the Hadleigh branch, 6 miles SW of Ipswich. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ipswich. Acres, 2,801. Real property, £3,725. Pop., 453. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. The Tollemaches had a seat here before the Conquest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £182.* Patron, the Rev.E. R. Keene. The church is good; and there are national schools.

Bentley through time

Bentley is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bentley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bentley, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7032

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bentley ".