Place:


Barton Mills  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton Mills like this:

BARTON-MILLS, or Little Barton, a parish in Mildenhall district, Suffolk; adjacent to the river Lark, 1 mile SSE of Mildenhall, and 5 N of Kennet r. station. Post Town, Mildenhall, under Soham. Acres, 2,050. Real property, £3,547. Pop., 531. Houses, 131. The property is subdivided. Barton Place is the principal residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £550.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old; was restored in 1840; and contains an ancient font and a carved oak pulpit. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £14.

Barton Mills through time

Barton Mills is now part of Forest Heath district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest Heath has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barton Mills itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton Mills, in Forest Heath and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7020

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barton Mills ".