Place:


Barningham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barningham like this:

BARNINGHAM, a parish in the district of Thetford and county of Suffolk; 2¾ miles S of the Little Ouse river, and 9 SE of Thetford r. station. It has a post office under Bury-St.-Edmunds. Acres, 1,586. Real property, £2,982. Pop., 489. Houses, 109. Barningham Park is the seat of R. Hunt, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Coney-Weston, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £770.* Patron, R. Hunt, Esq. The church is a brick building, with a stone tower, and has a brass of 1499. There are a Wesleyan Methodist chapel and charities £55.

Barningham through time

Barningham is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barningham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barningham, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7016

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barningham ".