Place:


Bardwell  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bardwell like this:

BARDWELL, a village and a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk. The village stands on a tributary of the Little Ouse river, 6 miles N by W of Thurston r. station; and 8 NE of Bury-St. Edmunds; and has a post office under Bury-St. Edmunds. The parish comprises 3,144 acres. Real property, £4, 971. ...


Pop., 882. Houses, 198. The property is much subdivided. Some barrows occur on Bowbeck Heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £597.* Patron, St. John's college, Oxford. The church has a tower, stained glass windows, and some good monuments; and was thoroughly renovated in 1853. There are two dissentinig chapels, an endowed school, and charities £103.

Bardwell through time

Bardwell is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bardwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bardwell, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7010

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bardwell ".