Place:


Padstow  Cornwall

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Padstow like this:

Padstow, seaport and market town, and par., Cornwall, on S. side of estuary of river Camel, 5 miles NW. of Wadebridge ry. sta. and 12 miles NW. of Bodmin - par., 3341 ac., pop. 2191; town, pop. 1749; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Saturday. This is a very ancient place, its former names being Lodenek, Athelstowe, and Petrocstowe. ...


The town furnished ships for the siege of Calais in 1346. It is nominally governed by a portreeve and other officers, under charter of Elizabeth. Padstow has a fine situation in a luxuriant valley. Its coasting trade is considerable. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) The chief articles of commerce are coals, corn, and malt; and some shipbuilding is carried on.

Padstow through time

Padstow is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Padstow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Padstow in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Padstow ".