Place:


Writtle  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Writtle like this:

WRITTLE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands 2 miles W by S of Chelmsford r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Chelmsford.—The parish comprises 8,672 acres. Real property, £14,072. Pop., 2,374. Houses, 512. ...


The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged to Harold; passed to the Albinis, W. Longsword, T. de Woodstock, the Staffords, and others; and belongs now to Lord Petre. A palace, built in the 13th century, stood on a farm now called the Lordship. A hermitage was founded, in the time of Stephen, at Highwood-Quarter; and, in the time of Henry II., became a cell to Colchester abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value £600.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is. old, and has a tower rebuilt in 1802. St. Paul's chapel is a separate charge, with an income of £100, and in the patronge of the Vicar. There are endowed schools, national and Bratish schools, and some charities.—The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 19,107. Pop., 5,076. Houses, 1,049.

Writtle through time

Writtle is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Writtle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Writtle, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6988

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Writtle ".