Place:


Woodham Ferrers  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodham Ferrers like this:

WOODHAM-FERRIS, a parish, with a village, in Chelmsford district, Essex; 6 miles SW of Maldon r. station. It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 4,481. Real property, £5,868. Pop., 947. Houses, 192. The manor belongs to Lord Rayleigh. Burketts Hall is the seat ofE. Hamilton, Esq. A mansion of Archbishop Sandys was here, and part of it is still standing. ...


A black priory was founded at Bicknacre, in the time of Henry III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £950. Patron, Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart. The church is good; and there are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £65.

Woodham Ferrers through time

Woodham Ferrers is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodham Ferrers itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodham Ferrers, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6983

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodham Ferrers ".