Place:


Weeley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weeley like this:

WEELEY, a parish, with an ancient village, in Tendring district, Essex; on the Tendring Hundred railway, 10½ miles ESE of Colchester. It has a post-office‡ under Colchester, and a r. station. Acres, 2,087. Real property, £4,105. Pop., 630. Houses, 146. The property is much subdivided. Barracks and a garrison were here during the war with France. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £580.* Patron, Brasenose College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

Weeley through time

Weeley is now part of Tendring district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tendring has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weeley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weeley, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6966

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weeley ".