Place:


Great Wakering  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Wakering like this:

WAKERING (Great), a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Rochford district, Essex. The village stands near the coast, 4¼ miles E by N of Southend r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Southend, and a fair on 25 July.—The parish includes Rusley and Great Potton islands; and comprises 2,784 acres of land, and 2,700 of water. ...


Real property, £5,794; of which £40 are in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 905; in 1861, 1,018. Houses, 199. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £233.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is good: and there are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, and a national school.—The sub-district contains 6 parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 49,200. Pop., 4,056. Houses, 617.

Great Wakering through time

Great Wakering is now part of Rochford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rochford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Wakering itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Wakering, in Rochford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6957

Date accessed: 15th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Wakering ".