Place:


Great Totham  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Totham like this:

TOTHAM (Great), a parish, with a village, in Maldon district, Essex; 2½ miles N by E of Maldon r. station. Post town, Witham. Acres, 5,363; of which 1,042 are water. Real property, £4,980. Pop., 812. Houses, 185. The property is much subdivided. Beacon hill has an altitude of about 700 feet; was crowned by a signal beacon, during the great war with France; and is still crowned by a large elm, which serves as a landmark to mariners. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £178.* Patron, W. P. Honeywood, Esq. The church is good. There are an Independent chapel, a Wesleyan chapel of 1867, a national school, six alms houses, and church charities £12.

Great Totham through time

Great Totham is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Totham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Totham, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6950

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Totham ".