Place:


Tolleshunt Major  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tolleshunt Major like this:

TOLLESHUNT-MAJOR, or Beckingham, a parish, with a village, in Maldon district, Essex; 4¼ miles ENE of Maldon r. station. It has a post-office under Kelvedon. Acres, 2,344; of which 160 are water. Real property, £2,859. Pop., 438. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. A seat of the Beckinghams was erected here in the time of Henry VIII., and is now represented only by an embattled gateway. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £187. Patron, the Rev. H. A. Carwardine. The church is tolerable. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £8.

Tolleshunt Major through time

Tolleshunt Major is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tolleshunt Major itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tolleshunt Major, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6948

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tolleshunt Major ".