Place:


Stanford le Hope  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanford le Hope like this:

STANFORD-LE-HOPE, a parish in Orsett district, Essex; on the river Thames and the Southend railway, 10 miles SSE of Brentwood. It has a post-office under Romford, and a r. station. Acres, 2,984; of which 570 are foreshore. Real property, £4,244. Pop., 504. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £590.* Patron, the Rev. J.Knott. The church is old but good. There are an endowed school with £38 a year, and charities £17.

Stanford le Hope through time

Stanford le Hope is now part of Thurrock district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thurrock has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanford le Hope itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanford le Hope, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6909

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanford le Hope ".