Place:


Southchurch  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southchurch like this:

SOUTHCHURCH, a village and a parish in Rochford, district, Essex. The village stands near the Thames' mouth, 1½ mile E of Southend r. station; and has a post-office under Southend. The parish includes part of Canvey Island; and comprises 1,180 acres of land, and 3,285 of water. Real property, £9,085; of which £50 are in fisheries. Pop., 494. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £800.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is old but good. There is a national school.

Southchurch through time

Southchurch is now part of Southend on Sea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southend on Sea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southchurch, in Southend on Sea and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6903

Date accessed: 19th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southchurch ".