Place:


Abbess Roding  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abbess Roding like this:

ROOTHING-ABBOTS, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 6 miles N by E of Ongar r.station. It contains the hamlet of Roothing-Barwick; and its post town is Ongar. Acres, 1, 602. Real property, £2, 366. Pop., 220. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged ancientlyto Barking abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £323.* Patron, Capel Cure, Esq. The church is good, and has a spire. There are an Independent chapel and a parochial school.

Abbess Roding through time

Abbess Roding is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abbess Roding itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abbess Roding, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6877

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abbess Roding ".