Place:


Purleigh  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Purleigh like this:

PURLEIGH, or Purley, a village and a parish in Maldon district, Essex. The village stands 4½ miles S of Maldon r. station; and has a post-office under Maldon, and a fair on 15 June. The parish comprises 5, 578 acres. Real property, £8, 307; of which £36 are in fisheries. Pop. ...


in 1851, 1, 184; in 1861, 1,095. Houses, 252. The property is much subdivided. Howe-Green was a peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury. A police stationis near Latchingdon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester, and is annexed to the provostship of Oriel college, Oxford. Value, £1, 141.* The churchstands on an eminence, with a fine view; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower. A dissenting chapel is at Howe-Green; and there are an endowed school with £33 a year, and charities £9.

Purleigh through time

Purleigh is now part of Maldon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Maldon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Purleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Purleigh, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6863

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Purleigh ".