Place:


Great Parndon  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Parndon like this:

PARNDON (Great), a village and a parish in Epping district, Essex. The village stands 2¼ miles S E of Roydon r. station, and 4¾ N W by N of Epping; is anancient place; and has a post-office under Harlow. The parish comprises 2, 211 acres. Real property, £3, 540. Pop., 491. Houses, 105. ...


The property is subdivided. King's-Moor House belongs to J. Risdon, Esq. A Premonstratensian canonry was anciently founded in Great Parndon, by Roger de Parndon; and was removed, in 1180, to Little Maldon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £498.* Patrons, Earl Cowley, St. Thomas' Hospital, and the Rev. W.Adams. The church stands on a rising ground; and has a nave, a S aisle, a new chancel, and a tower and spire. Charities, £5.

Great Parndon through time

Great Parndon is now part of Harlow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harlow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Parndon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Parndon, in Harlow and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6854

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Parndon ".