Place:


Margaretting  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Margaretting like this:

MARGARETTING, a village and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on the river Wid, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 2 miles NE of Ingatestone, and 5 SW by S of Chelmsford; and has a post office under Ingatestone. The parish comprises 2,259 acres. Real property, £3,708. ...


Pop., 483. Houses, 110. The property is much subdivided. Peacocks is the seat of G. Straight, Esq. Killigrews was a moated seat, visited by Henry VIII.; and became a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £191. Patron, the Rev. M. Barnard. The church stands near Ingatestone; and consists of nave and aisles, with wooden belfry. There are a charity school, and charities £9.

Margaretting through time

Margaretting is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Margaretting itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Margaretting, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6823

Date accessed: 15th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Margaretting ".