Place:


Liston  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Liston like this:

LISTON, a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the river Stour, at the boundary with Suffolk, 3 miles NNW of Sudbury r. station. Posttown, Sudbury. Acres, 631. Real property, £1,510. Pop., 95. Houses, 18. The manor belonged anciently to Hugh de Gournai and to the Listons. Liston Hall is the seat of Mrs. Thornhill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £163.* Patron, R. Lambert, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a tower.

Liston through time

Liston is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Liston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Liston, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6813

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Liston ".