Place:


East Horndon  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Horndon like this:

HORNDON (EAST), or EAST THORNDON, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; 3 miles SSE of Brentwood r. station, and 4 SW of Billericay. Post town, Brentwood. Acres, 1, 477. Real property, £4, 412. Pop., 475. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. FowchersHeron manor belongs to George A. ...


Lowndes, Esq.; and another manor, partly within the parish, belongs to Lord Petre. Remains exist of Heron Hall, an ancient seat of the Tyrrells. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £340. Patron, the Rev. John Pearson. The church is a brick building, ancient but good; and has a Norman font. There is a national school.

East Horndon through time

East Horndon is now part of Brentwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brentwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Horndon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Horndon, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6804

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Horndon ".