Place:


Great Horkesley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Horkesley like this:

HORKSLEY (GREAT), a village and a parish in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands near the river Stour and the boundary with Suffolk, 1¼ mile S by W of Nayland, and 4 N by W of Colchester r. station; and has a post office under Colchester. The parish comprises 3, 048 acres. Real property, £5, 184. ...


Pop., 769. Houses, 172. The property is divided among many. Westwood House is the seat of John L. Gower, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £1, 005.* Patron, Countess Cowper. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with handsome tower; and has a very fine memorial window to Bishop Ward, of Sodor and Man. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £40.

Great Horkesley through time

Great Horkesley is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Horkesley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Horkesley, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6802

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Horkesley ".