Place:


Lambourne  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lambourne like this:

LAMBOURNE, a village and a parish in Ongar district, Essex. The village stands near Hainault forest, 1¼ mile SE of the river Roding, 3½ E by S of Loughton r. station, and 5 NNW of Romford; is an ancient place, mentioned in Domesday book; and has a post-office under Romford. The parish contains also the village of Abridge. ...


Acres, 2,440. Real property, £5,320. Pop., 890. Houses, 175. The property is divided among a few. Bishops Hall was the residence of Bishop Spencer of Norwich, who suppressed Keat's rebellion; and is now the seat of Col. W. M. Wood. Patch Park is the seat of E. E. Eliot, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Abridge, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £610. * Patron, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, and has a Norman door. There are a chapel of ease at Abridge, an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £20.

Lambourne through time

Lambourne is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lambourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lambourne, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6795

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lambourne ".