Place:


Langley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langley like this:

LANGLEY, a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex; adjacent to Herts, 5½ miles W by N of Newport r. station, and 7 W SW of Saffron-Walden. Post-town, Clavering, under Bishop-Stortford. Acres, 1,617. Real property, £1,508. Pop., 410. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Clavering, in the diocese of Rochester. A chapel was here in the time of Henry II.; and the parish is sometimes regarded as a chapelry. The present church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel, a parochial school, and charities £8.

Langley through time

Langley is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langley, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6768

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langley ".